Saturday, January 23, 2021

Only in Bucks County: The Earthship




Solar energy... check!

Thermal heat and cooling from a pile of (carefully placed) old tires... check!
 
Self composting toilet...check!

Ever since I moved to Bristol and discovered Silver Lake Nature Center, I've been wanting to check out their fully sustainable, zero carbon footprint "Earthship". I'd noticed on various local websites that it's open for free tours certain Saturdays, but it seemed like I always had something else to do. I finally went and checked it out today on a cold, COVID day. (There were others in my group, and masks are required. There were even two dogs in my group! And it was WARM inside!)

This fully sustainable, carbon-zero building is built with recycled products (including about 300 old tires), and is able to heat and cool itself, gather its own water, recycle its own waste, and produce its own food. It is free to tour, and the next tour is on Saturday, February 13th, 2021 between the hours of 1pm and 2:30pm. No appointment is necessary- you can just show up! You can see the structure as you pull into the main parking lot, and simply walk back to it. 
The address of the Earthship is 1306 Bath Road, Bristol PA, 
and you can take a look at their website here. 
I suggest you stay and walk one of the trails!






          

                                                                   













No comments:

Post a Comment