Sunday, July 28, 2013

Only in Bucks County: Nor'wester Readers

I'm happy to announce that I'm going to be volunteering my Twitter skills to another Bucks County Non Profit!

I really enjoyed helping to bring attention to Reuseyourshoes via Twitter, and I have a ton of fun being on The United Way of Bucks County's Twitter Corps, so I decided that no matter how busy I am, I'd always like to donate my time and skills to a local cause. I am pleased to tell you that the organization I've chosen is called Nor'wester Readers.


I was first introduced to this organization in 2011 when I was asked to photograph one of their events by Northampton Patch.

I was re-introduced this past Spring, when I took Cody to their  Annual Dog Walk and Family Fair.
It was an extremely well organized, family friendly event. That evening, I sent my photos to Founder Wendi Huttner, and... well.... you already know what happened from there.
After a few meetings with Wendi and Co-Director Deborah Glessner, I hopped on board to set up an account and become their voice on Twitter. I am still learning about the program, which is not just about kids reading to dogs; Nor'wester Readers is a well-thought-out and well-researched Canine Assisted Learning Program. 

Their goal is to provide certified therapy dogs to work with area teachers to build and support student motivation; and to improve student self esteem, confidence, and focus.
 
My goal is to bring awareness to this wonderful organization and its need for more registered therapy dogs. (There is literally a waiting list of teachers in Bucks County - especially Pennsbury School District and Bensalem Township - who have requested a dog for their classroom)
 
To begin to understand more about the program, I joined Debbie at the Northampton Free Library this week to see some of the dogs in action!

 
 
Dogs make great listeners.
 

 
  

 A lot of the books the kids read to the dogs were ABOUT dogs.
                                (Dogs love this!)
 
                                    
                                       "97 Ways To Make a Dog Smile"
 
                                              Smilin'
 

 
 
 "Harry"
 
                                   
 

 

How Can You Help???

Nor'wester Readers needs more owners/handlers and their dogs to visit classrooms on a regular basis!
If you want to volunteer for a really worthwhile cause and own a great dog,
 or if you have a friend who has a great dog, all we ask is that you spread the word!

Here is a link on how to get your dog tested to become a Certified Therapy Dog:
http://www.norwesterreaders.org/therapy-dog-testing.html



When was the last time YOU curled up with a good book...
...and a good dog?
 


Please follow us on Twitter @NorwesterReader





 

1 comment:

  1. Another great post - I don't know how you find the time and energy to do all you do! They must be happy to have you.

    ReplyDelete