Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Only in Bucks County: Is That a Brisket in Your Pocket or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

Another New Years Resolution: Learn to Cook a Brisket.

My friends and family know that I cook or grill out practically every day. I have my standards - and I try new things. I've taken classes from Mediterranean small bites and appetizers, to Italian Cuisine with my mentor Lina Pastore; to a Pit Barbecue class where we actually dug a hole in the ground at my old high school and cooked a pig.

Lemon Herb Marinade for Chicken or Fish:
Combine
1/3 c fresh lemon juice
2 TBSP grated lemon peel
2 TBSP Ketchup
2 garlic gloves, pressed
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
In a non-reactive bowl; then whisk in 1/4 c olive oil.
You can set some aside as a finishing sauce.

But I have a secret. This nice Jewish girl has NEVER cooked a Brisket. I've never even attempted to.
I have chicken, pork chops, burgers, and steaks under control, but I've never dared to cook a hunk of large meat in the oven. Which means no Pot Roast, no London Broil, and unfortunately no Brisket for me!
Ah... Summer.


So... who has a good recipe they'd like to share? I need to cook a brisket that can compete with my mom's! And I need to do it fast so that I can cross one more thing off my list of resolutions for 2012.

Salsa Semplice by Lina Pastore
1/2 c olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large can crushed plum tomatoes
1/2 c fresh basil, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper to taste

Sautee garlic in oil. Add tomatoes, seasoning, and bay leaf. Heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaf. Add fresh basil to sauce.  

Happy New Year!
I'll be sure to let you know how my first Brisket turns out.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment